Sunday, September 8, 2013

Looking Back to excitedly Look Forward


 1 Corinthians 13:11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me.
 
     As this year is flying by, it may be time to take a look back over the first 2/3 of 2013 and assess it. How many victories has God provided vs. how many defeats? How many obstacles have you hurdled vs. times you have fallen? How many individuals have you helped vs. squandered opportunities? The truth is your realization of success will oftentimes be based on your view of things. Here's an example to make the point:
 
     There was a football player who was convinced to hang out late with his friends one night, knowing practice was going to be early the next morning. Choosing not to listen to other wise teammates, he went out and came home around 4 a.m. He subsequently overslept, and missed the first half of the mornings practice. When he got there, the coach gave him a punishment of 10 miles to run. He ran them, but was tired and sore as he made his way home.
 
     The next day, he was 15 minutes early for practice, worked hard that day and asked to speak with the head coach when they finished practice. When they met, the football player told the coach thanks for the punishment and the penalty. The coach bewildered asked why would he thank him for the pain. (for he saw him somewhat gimpy from the added running). The boy replied," the poor decision I made cost me 10 miles and a lot of soreness and pain. But if that's the only price I have to pay to learn a valuable lesson about time, priorities, and listening to the right people; then I got off dirt cheap.
 
     We too should thank God for the suffering, struggles, obstacles, and apparent defeats. For the lesson learned is far less costly than what most of us would have had to pay. Thank you God for the lessons learned this year, and the small price we've had to pay!


Pastor Kirkland A. Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment